Most of Aurora Facets items contain not only crystal or semi precious gemstones but also perhaps wood, seeds, silk, metals and so forth. This means that some of the crystal healing methods are not suitable for jewellery care.
For instance I knew someone who had a beautiful mala that contained Radraksha seeds, she used the sunshine method for cleansing her piece and left it outside on her garden table on a sunny day for 10 minutes. By the time she came back the resident squirrel had had a feast and only the citrine pendant piece was left. So please keep your items indoors away from hungry creatures.
Also things like burying them in soil, putting under running water won’t bode particularly well for the longevity of the silk etc.
So my three recommended methods for cleaning your crystals if indeed they need to be cleaned is smudging, indoors sunlight or the breath method which you will see detailed below.
If you have bought one of Aurora Facets pieces direct from me you won’t need to clean them before use unless you have a personal reason for wishing to do so, however if you have bought one of my pieces from within a shop or where lots of other people might have been looking them and or touching them please do give them a smudge before your first wear.
I recommend that you do not share your crystal pieces with other people. They contain your energy, if other people wear or handle them long enough they will take in their energies too. I feel very much that the pieces are attracted to, and inevitably end up in the home of the person they were always meant to be with.
Therefore they are keepsakes rather than fashion pieces and all are made with unconditional love and with the purpose to heal and protect the wearer.
Most of my pieces are hand knotted with silk. Though this is strong it is not as strong as for instance nylon. The heavier the beads and pendant piece the more the silk will stretch over time. I recommend that when not wearing your piece to store it flat rather than hanging it.
Also avoid contact of the piece with body oils, lotions and scents as much as possible as these can damage and weaken the silk
It is good to be mindful, especially with the shorter pieces, to remove glasses and hair buns etc before putting it on, otherwise you will inevitably stretch the piece or even end up breaking your glasses which can be a costly affair.
With the heavier longer pieces, from personal experience I have regularly been reminded to be careful when leaning forwards i.e. when sitting at a table to eat, as the pendant piece will inevitably swing forwards and if it were to meet a marble table or other hard surface could come to an untimely end. I instinctively hold mine now when leaning forward.
How To Clean Your Crystals
My favourite method is smudging.
Here is how you smudge
Smudging is a way for brushing away negative energy using sacred or scented smoke as well as with gem stone jewellery to clear their energies.
What you will need:
- Jewellery item
- Smudging stick
- A safe place
- Abalone shell or something suitable to catch the bits of ash
Smudging sticks are usually made of herbs, precious woods or resins, like sage, cedar, sandalwood, frankincense, juniper and more. Sage is probably the most popular or known one. You could also use incense if you don’t have smudger.
- Carefully light your smudger
- Fan the smudger carefully with either your fingers or a feather to make it smolder and give off smoke.
- Ask the Divine in a small prayer to help clear the energy of the crystals for the highest good of all concerned.
- Pass the crystal piece through the smoke between three to seven times or brush the smoke over the crystal, whichever easiest.
- Use the abalone shell under the smudger to catch the ash.
- If you are sensitive to smoke you can use a hydrosol spray which brings the vibration of the smudging materials to the ritual without the smoke. You can use Juniper, Holy Basil, Sage or other ones of interest.
- When finishing, please remember to thank the crystals and the Divine.
Here is the Breath Method
Breath: With your crystal held in your hands, begin by breathing slowly and centering yourself. Focus on your crystal, take a long slow breath, and pause while focusing. Raise your crystal and exhale with a burst, visualizing and feeling static and ambient energies spontaneously releasing from the crystal’s light matrix. Repeat until you are satisfied (or light-headed).
Here is the Light Method
Clear Quartz in particular loves sunlight. In the warm summer months you can place your Clear Quartz crystals outside in your garden in a safe place away from children, pets and hungry squirrels. If you don’t have access to a garden then a sunny window sill is just as good. This is also the best way to let the crystal re-charge during the winter months.
Other crystals can be cleansed and charged in sunlight but be aware that they may be prone to fading, especially if they have a strong colour like Brazilian Amethyst, so short periods of exposure are advisable with coloured crystals. I would also not recommend the light method if your piece has silk tassles as the colour can fade if left under sunlight for too long..
If tassels get a bit disheveled you can easily just dampen them slightly and re-shape and then leave in your desired shape to dry.
With any silver and gold pieces, if they tarnish slightly which inevitably they will do with wear, then just giving them a gentle rub with a very soft cloth will sparkle them up instantly.
You can re-charge your crystals via various methods which you can find here:
How to Recharge your Crystals
As crystals absorb and transform energies to infuse light and defuse negativity, their energy levels may be depleted. Recharge your crystals, gemstones and minerals with fresh energy from a “vertical” source to replenish and restore their light matrix.
- Sunlight: An hour or more of sunlight will charge most crystals. Sunlight is terrific for clear quartz. After a sunbath on your windowsill, your clear quartz crystals will be noticeably brighter. Dark, opaque stones like black tourmaline and obsidian can also be recharged by this method. This is an excellent technique for quickly energizing personal stones.
- Moonlight: Moonlight is a gentle and penetrating method for recharging your stones. The light of the full moon is desirable, being brightest, but the light of any phase will serve. Amethyst, rose quartz, citrine, smoky quartz, moonstone, calcite, celestite, kunzite, aquamarine, and other light or pastel colored stones are revitalized in moonlight. This is a gentle technique for regenerating personal stones overnight.
- Quartz Cluster: Clusters of quartz crystals are known for cleansing and recharging themselves. I have cleansed mine, however, and ended up with some pretty murky water afterwards! Given that the cluster you’ve chosen as your recharging cluster is clean and charged itself, clusters are terrific for recharging other crystals. To do so, simply rest the crystal on top of the cluster for 24 hours. If you’re worried about chips & scratches, put the crystal in a pouch or wrap it in a bit of natural fabric such as silk or cotton.
- Quartz Tabby: Large tabular quartz crystals are renown for charging other stones. A quartz tabby is an ideal healing companion providing a place to rest stones between applications in a single healing session. If you have a large tabular quartz crystal, rest your crystal on top of it for the length of time you sense appropriate to be recharged. Be sure to give your tabby regular care too!
- Amethyst Cluster or Cave: This is probably one of the most subtle of charging techniques. Allow time for this method and engage your intuition for guidance. Try combining this technique with moonlight!
- Crystal Layout: Combine this method with any of the above methods for recharging crystals. This method may also be used while cleansing crystals. Arrange several single and double-terminated clear quartz crystals around the cluster, tabby (or bowl) in which your crystal is being recharged (or cleansed), or around the crystal itself.For example, arrange the crystals according to the four cardinal directions, North, South, East and West, otherwise known as the medicine shield. The crystals will channel fresh energy to recharge the crystal in the center. If you want to charge your crystal with a certain vibration, for example serenity or love, add crystals to the layout that foster that resonance, such as aquamarine, celestite, blue chalcedony, chrysoprase, rhodochrosite and rose quartz. You may also tune your crystals in harmony with the resonance of a tuning fork, a bell or a singing bowl. You can anoint the crystals with essential oils but try not to get any oil on the silk. The Crystal Layout method is enhanced by sunlight and moonlight.
What If One Of The Knots Break?
The good news is that with the knotting method I use if the silk does break for any reason you will be able to retain all the stones. Apart from one nearest the break the rest of the stones should remain intact and in place on the silk.
To repair the break each bead or stone will need to be cut free, the knot removed and then finally once all the beads and stones are free they will need to be laid out in the original design and re-strung which is a time consuming affair.
If you have taken all measures above to look after your piece and it breaks within six months of purchase I will re-string it for free.
If any knots break between six months and a year there will be a nominal fee for re-stringing plus a charge for any stones that might need replacing.
After a year I am happy to re-string at my standard re-stringing fee.
Please contact me to discuss if you need to have your piece re-strung.